What Makes Mermaids Special?


Check out the Splash into Summer Main Pages at 
where you can access the schedule!
You can also go here to get involved!
What makes mermaids special? I suppose it all depends...

(And if you get that reference, you get an extra-special underwater seaweed cookie treat!)

Even mermaids love to read!
I haven't always loved mermaids. Enjoyed them, yes. Loved them obsessively, no.

So what changed?

My first remembered experience with mermaids involves, of course, Disney's The Little Mermaid. It was one of the first movies I ever owned (movies used to be much more expensive to own than they are now). I also loved the TV series Disney created featuring Ariel, also entitled The Little Mermaid, as well as a more-obscure TV show that I sometimes caught on TV after Church called Saban's Adventures of the Little Mermaid.


Saban's Adventures of The Little Mermaid

In fifth grade, someone did a report on dolphins, an animal I'd never heard of, and they quickly beat out dolphins as my favorites. I adored them and received gifts for my birthdays and Christmases such as WorldWide Wildlife Adopt A Dolphin kits, stuffed dolphins, figurines, etc.


I've always been a fan of swimming and the beach, too. I loved swimming in our pool, even though I'm allergic to chlorine and can't stay in too long. I loved family trips to the beach.

My favorite beach is Siesta Key in Sarasota, Florida.
I can't tell you how many times I've gone there and been
swept away by its beauty!

Maybe somewhere I was a mermaid in a past life? Why else would I love the water and its creatures so much?

Honestly, I didn't start falling "in love" with mermaids and their lore until I had my own underwater story to tell. I started buying mermaid-related books as research. Now I love them.

Even my writing office is decorated with a beachy theme. There are seashells, knick-knacks, and candles that smell like the ocean. It's a very calming atmosphere.

My ocean-themed writing desk.
Ahh, nothing is more inspirational!

I really couldn't tell you what makes mermaids special to me. I think that somehow, it's all Ariel's fault, though!

...And apparently she's overjoyed at that prospect...

What led to your underwater obsession?

Comments

  1. I remember seeing The Little Mermaid in theaters with my grandma. I spilled Italian salad dressing all over myself at Chic-fil-a beforehand and smelled awful, but I would not miss opening day! There was a statue of the Weeki Wachee mermaids somewhere in Orlando that I remember seeing as a kid. I don't know if it's still there or not, but it always fascinated me.

    I also LOVED TLM series on TV. I had the chapter books too. Did you ever read them? I really wish I could find them again to give to my niece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!