Mad About Nails: Fourth of July Nails

I've had quite a few people comment on my nails in the past ask what I was using or wish I'd done a close-up so they could see better, etc., etc., and had a realization: Why not do a feature on nail polish? It's not book-related (Unless you're wearing the new HUNGER GAMES-inspired line from China Glaze, but I'm not even going into how wrong that is...), but it's fun. Plus, if I do this feature, I'll be more likely to re-paint my nails this week and less likely to let them chip their way to the bare bones (which would mean that I could see my nails...and if I see them, I want to bite them!).

Welcome back to another edition of Mad About Nails! 

Happy Fourth of July if you're in the USA!




I decided to have fun this holiday season and picked a couple of beautiful ORLY colors that gave a more "vintage" feel to the traditional red and blue look because they're a little darker. I paired them with some glitzy stars and glitter from Revlon for a fun holiday look!



Here's a look at the materials used:
(Or keep reading below!)



These two are POWERHOUSES for
long-lasting manicures!  One lasted
1.5 weeks, the other for 2!!!
I started off with a basecoat of ORLY "Bonder."  Many of the professional nail studios use this as a basecoat when doing nails for their clients.  It's a rubberized coat that helps polish adhere to the nail.  It stinks, but it's great!

I finished everything with a top coat of Revlon's "Quick Dry Top Coat."  I'd heard it was a rival for the legendary Seche Vite, but with fewer harsh chemicals.  It also doesn't go bad in the bottle or shrink when used.  I was intrigued, and so far, this stuff is FABULOUS.

Together, this combo has made my nails last, on average, 1.5 to 2 weeks. They're both awesome!



For my base color:

I alternated between ORLY "Smolder" and ORLY "High on Hope."

"Smolder" is from the Fall 2012 Fire it Up Collection.  It's a beautiful red with an orange-copper shimmer when it catches the light just right. Indoors, it's a dark wine red. It's a really beautiful color that's eye-catching beneath sunlight.

ORLY "Smolder"

"High on Hope" is from ORLY's Spring 2013 Hope and Freedom Fest Collection. It's a beautiful deep blue. In sunlight, it shimmers with these lovely pinky-purple flakes and has a lovely depth to it. My left index finger keeps chipping because I use it constantly, and even though I've re-applied this color a couple of times now, I haven't had *any* staining, which is amazing for such a dark blue! I love this collection's message and thought it was especially appropriate to sport during the Fourth of July week.

ORLY "High on Hope"

For my design:

Once everything dried a bit, I topped it off with Revlon "Celestial FX." This is from the permanent collection, so you should be able to find it anywhere. Mine came from CVS or Rite-Aid. I bought it during a BOGO when I also picked up Revlon "Quick Dry Top Coat (Which I used as this week's top coat to dry everything fast with a lovely shine!).

The FX has tiny flecks of glitter that easily coat the nail. This also masked the different formulas of "Smolder" and "High on Hope." It diluted the multi-colored glitter so it looks like the color underneath is just blue and red instead of having flakes of non-Fourth of July colors, which is just what I wanted! I had to place some of the larger glitters, which are a mix of diamonds, stars, and moons. They didn't all come out easily. I left my bottle upside down in the evening and used it in the morning to give the glitter time to rise so it was easier to manipulate.

Revlon "Celestial FX"

I love these colors and think they look great together. It's a slightly different shade of Red, White, and Blue, but I think it came out well. The only thing I'd do differently, looking back, is have a white finger as well!

 Is anyone else obsessed with nail polish? What are you wearing right now? Did you do anything special for the holidays?

Comments

  1. I love this! I'm currently on a textured nail polish kick, but maybe I should alternate some red and blue for today :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!