Top 20 Books to Read This Summer!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!
This week's topic:
Top Ten Books On My Summer TBR List

What books am I dying to read this summer?


...Yeah, right, like I can pick just ten? I'm going to double that. ^_^

In no particular order...

1) THE TWICE LOST by Sarah Porter
I've had an ARC of this since last fall. It's unacceptable (to me!) that I haven't read it yet. I did a good job holding off until Splash into Summer...which is soon now...so it's finally time! I need to re-read LOST VOICES and WAKING STORMS first, so those are two other titles.My Reviews Of: LOST VOICES, WAKING STORMS

2) THE KING'S GUARD by Rae Carson
I recently re-read THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS, THE SHADOW CATS, and THE CROWN OF EMBERS, then read THE BITTER KINGDOM and THE SHATTERED MOUNTAIN for the first time. Now all that's left is THE KING'S GUARD and it's *Hector's* story, so I'm extremely eager to read it! Also sad because there may not be anything new from Rae Carson until her new series debuts in 2014 unless she comes out with more short stories...
My Reviews Of: THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNSTHE SHADOW CATS, THE SHATTERED MOUNTAIN
 
3) CROWN OF MIDNIGHT by Sarah J. Maas 
I'm ready to re-read THRONE OF GLASS and all four e-novellas then dive into CROWN OF MIDNIGHT, especially since I got to meet Sarah twice in the last few weeks. She's zany and great! I'm eager for this all over again!
(I was waiting to do a mini-event to review these, and it never happened...so this year! But how about an interview with Sarah J. Maas instead?)


4) ONCE WE WERE by Kat Zhang
I'm also ready to re-read WHAT'S LEFT OF ME and dig into ONCE WE WERE. I met Kat both times I met Sarah, as well as a third time at BEA. I'm excited for this one all over again, too!
My Review Of: WHAT'S LEFT OF ME

5) SPIRIT by Brigid Kemmerer
I loved STORM and SPARK and have devoured all of Brigid Kemmerer's e-novellas. SPIRIT came out while I was at BEA and I snatched it up the week I returned home! I'm so excited to re-read all of these books and fall into the new one!!!
 (Again, I was waiting for an event to post reviews of these that never happened...so this year!)

6) THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLD TOWN by Holly Black
I've only read two books by Holly Black, WHITE CAT and RED GLOVE (I still need to re-read them and read BLACK HEART!), but I've enjoyed what I read. The ARCs for THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLD TOWN were highly buzzed about and coveted at BEA. I don't even know what it's about, but I have an e-ARC courtesy of Edelweiss and I can't wait to read it!

7) PROPHECY by Ellen Oh
I pre-ordered this book...which came out on January 2nd...and I still haven't read it. That's unacceptable! I need to read it this summer. I've been trying to make my way to it for so long! The cover! The synopsis! The need for this!! It's been sitting patiently by my bed staring me down...

8) COUNTING BY 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
I randomly picked this up when the BEA Showroom floor opened at 9 am the first day. The cover was great, and the synopsis sounded even better. I think I'll love it the way I did Sharon Draper's OUT OF MY MIND and can't wait to read it!
 
9) THAT TIME I JOINED THE CIRCUS by J.J. Howard
Another one I've been coveting for a long time and even pre-ordered. I'm hoping to read it this weekend since I'm going to see Cirque du Soleil's TOTEM on Friday. I'll be in the mood for this then, right??

10) STARRY NIGHTS by Daisy Whitney
I love Daisy Whitney. She's one of my favorite YA contemporary authors! I fell in love with her when I first read THE MOCKINGBIRDS and still love her after reading this year's highly-anticipated WHEN YOU WERE HERE (Reviewing this week! With a GIVEAWAY! Look forward to it!). STARRY NIGHTS marks Daisy's first contemporary fantasy. I was so lucky to snag this at BEA. Highly coveted for me!
My Reviews Of: THE MOCKINGBIRDS, THE RIVALS

11) HERO by Alethea Kontis
I loved ENCHANTED and have been really eager for HERO! I didn't have time to make the signing line at BEA, but scored one of the last copies at the Bloomsbury booth later in the day. My only regret? Not getting to meet Alethea!My Review Of: ENCHANTED

12) THE STORYTELLER by Jodi Picoult
I had an ARC of this before the book came out in February. I bought the book the week it came out. I haven't had time to read it, though, and I'm sad, because this sounds like it might be Jodi Picoult's best book in years. Hopefully I can squeeze it in soon!
My Reviews Of: HOUSE RULES, BETWEEN THE LINES
 
13) SCORCHED by Mari Mancusi
I don't always like dragon books, but this one sounds amazing! I had it on my list before hitting up BEA, then wanted it even more after hearing Mari talk at the Teen Author Carnival. I was third in line to snag a copy and meet Mari at the Sourcebooks Booth! I'm really excited for this one!


14) THE WOLF PRINCESS by Cathryn Constable
A title I never heard about before BEA. The title caught my eye first. The synopsis sounds like a fun fantasy that will be easy to fall into. I'm really excited to read this. I was shocked at how small Cathryn Constable's signing line was because the title sounded so great and was a huge poster over at the Scholastic Booth. Then again, I'm also a little glad because I chose to wait at the Sourcebooks Booth for Mari Mancusi's SCORCHED first and if both lines had been long, I wouldn't have made it!

15) BOUNDLESS by Cynthia Hand
I just haven't had time to read this final book. I was going to read it after I read the final books in other series that came out this year. I was disheartened by bad ends, destroying love triangles via death, etc. I guess I'm just afraid this will end badly, too! But a co-worker told me I'd be in trouble if I didn't read it before she returned from maternity leave, which is July 7th now, so...eep!
My Reviews Of: UNEARTHLY, HALLOWED, RADIANT

16) ANTIGODDESS by Kendare Blake
I've wanted this since the moment I saw the cover online and realized it was mythology-based. Kendare Blake is really lucky in the cover department. She always has the best covers that just make you stare. I've been lucky enough to have an e-ARC for a few months now, but haven't had time to dig in!

17) DECEPTION by C. J. Redwine
I LOVED DEFIANCE. It was so amazingly good! I've been anticipating DECEPTION ever since. I'm going to pounce on this one the minute it comes out and devour it whole. The series is that good.
(Why did I never review DEFIANCE? Look for one after my re-read!)

18) CONJURED by Sarah Beth Durst
Sarah Beth Durst's books are always so uniquely envisioned and easy to get lost in. I'm bad because I still need to review (and re-read!) VESSEL, her best book yet. She's really blossoming and growing as an author. I've loved being a fan of hers for so long and am excited that she has TWO new books out this year!  CONJURED comes out in early September, and THE LOST will be one of my Fall TBR Titles!
My Reviews Of: ICE, ENCHANTED IVY, DRINK, SLAY, LOVE
 
19) INFINITYGLASS by Myra McEntire
I have a confession: I have never read this series. I pre-orderd HOURGLASS back in 2011 because it sounded good and the cover was amazing. When I finally had time to read it, TIMEPIECE was out. I bought that, too, but decided to wait until all three books were out. I do that sometimes, especially when I hear--or know--there are bad cliffhangers, or that I won't have a lot of time to re-read prior books first. I have a couple of sequels sitting here that I haven't had time for yet (APOLLYON by Jennifer Armentrout, THE ESSENCE by Kimberly Derting) that I'm desperate to read, but not sure I'll have time to re-read when the next book comes out later this year...so I might as well wait, right?

20) REVEL by Maurissa Guibord
Another pre-order of a title that came out in February! I've wanted this one for a couple of years, ever since Maurissa announced it on her blog way back in 2011. I loved her debut novel WARPED and have been eager for new books by her. And I think I can squeeze this one in SOON because I can feature it during Splash into Summer next month!
My Review Of: WARPED



What books are YOU planning to read this summer?
What must-read did I forget? 

Comments

  1. Ohh, I love your list. Rae Carson, Sarah Maas & Kat Zhang, I can't wait to read their books. I adore their previous work <3 The coldest girl in coldtown, Hero, Prophecy, Antigoddess: all books on my wishlist. I'll be reading Defiance soon, such gorgeous covers.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Storyteller = fantastic. I love Jodi Picoult so much. Good luck with your list.

    My TTT: http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2013/06/top-ten-books-i-want-to-read-this-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of all these the only one I've read is The Storyteller! When you read it, if you're finding Part 1 slow/frustrating, be sure to keep on going until you hit Part 2. I found that's where the story started drawing me in (before then I was thinking I might DNF it!).

    And thanks for your awesome comment on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    If you love fantasy check out my novel A Radiant Chance. It is available for eBook. Purchase for a reasonable price and please leave a review. http://www.amazon.com/A-Radiant-Chance-ebook/dp/B00DL2ZTZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372185737&sr=8-1&keywords=A+Radiant+Chance

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!