Mad About Nails: Superman Nails

I've had quite a few people comment on my nails in the past ask what I was using or wish I'd done a close-up so they could see better, etc., etc., and had a realization: Why not do a feature on nail polish? It's not book-related (Unless you're wearing the new HUNGER GAMES-inspired line from China Glaze, but I'm not even going into how wrong that is...), but it's fun. Plus, if I do this feature, I'll be more likely to re-paint my nails this week and less likely to let them chip their way to the bare bones (which would mean that I could see my nails...and if I see them, I want to bite them!).

Welcome back to another edition of Mad About Nails! 

This week, to celebrate the release of MAN OF STEEL in theaters, I decided to go all out with Superman nail art!




What's cuter than a picture of Superman himself (He looks very Funko Pop, doesn't he?), his superhero uniform peeking out beneath his dress shirt, and the Superman logo? I'm overall pleased with how this came out, even though it isn't perfect!


I looked at several online images in order to come up with a concept, but was initially inspired by some great Etsy fake nails I saw online earlier this year:

©Mary Mars, Etsy

Here's a look at the materials used:
(Or keep reading below!)



These two are POWERHOUSES for
long-lasting manicures!  One lasted
1.5 weeks, the other for 2!!!
I started off with a basecoat of ORLY "Bonder."  Many of the professional nail studios use this as a basecoat when doing nails for their clients.  It's a rubberized coat that helps polish adhere to the nail.  It stinks, but it's great!

I finished everything with a top coat of Revlon's "Quick Dry Top Coat."  I'd heard it was a rival for the legendary Seche Vite, but with fewer harsh chemicals.  It also doesn't go bad in the bottle or shrink when used.  I was intrigued, and so far, this stuff is FABULOUS.

Together, this combo has made my nails last, on average, 1.5 to 2 weeks. They're both awesome!



For my base color:

THUMB: I put on one coat of OPI "Steady As She Rose." This is from the Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides collection; it's rare to find now.  It's a great fleshy color when creating skin tone on nails.

INDEX FINGER: I put on one coat of OPI "My Boyfriend Scales Walls." This is from The Amazing Spider-Man collection; it's hard to find now. I know I shouldn't mix Marvel and DC (But in real life, wouldn't they be friends anyway, since they're both good-doers?)... I like this white best because it's slightly off-white, and doesn't look as chalky on the nail as a pure white would.

REST OF FINGERS: I used ULTA "Indigo" from I've Got the Denim Blues Collection; this is no longer sold. It's a great medium blue that I love to use for nail art!

For my design:

I started with my two sideways French tips. I used China Glaze "Red Satin" from a previous holiday collection.

Next, I moved onto my thumb. I used Wet n Wild Wild Shine "Black Crème" to make an uneven french tip that mimicked a hairline. I used the same color for the dots on Superman's eyes and the buttons of his shirt on my index finger.
MASH Marbleizing Dotting
Tool Pen Set from Amazon


To create the dots, I used the MASH 5 X 2 Way Marbleizing Dotting Tool Pen Set for Nail Art Manicure Pedicure (Currently $3.99 on Amazon).

Next, I added the curl of hair on my thumb and the two lines of the shirt top on my index finger with It's So Easy Stripe Rite in "Black" from Sally's Beauty Supply Store.

I painted a blue stripe down the middle of my index finger using ULTA "Indigo."

MASH Professional 15 piece Nail Art Brush Kit Set
from Amazon
Next, on both my index and ring fingers, I painted the yellow background of the Superman design using ULTA Sun-Sational, widely available. I used a detail brush from the MASH Professional 15 piece Nail Art Brush Kit Set (currently $10.99 on Amazon) for more precision. I also used a brush from this set to create the red Superman logo, again using China Glaze "Red Satin."

I topped everything off with Revlon "Quick Dry Top Coat, waited about half an hour, then spritzed my nails with ORLY "Spritz Dry" to get them to dry a little faster. Doing this created a little bubbling on a couple of my nails, but they were dry when I went out to dinner!

While it's not perfect, overall, I think this is a good salute to the movie, don't you?

 Is anyone else obsessed with nail polish? What are you wearing right now?

Comments