BREAKING NEWS: From Book to...TV Series!?



One of my favorite YA novels of the year, UNEARTHLY by Cynthia Hand, has been optioned to become a TV series for the CW. This doesn't necessarily mean the show WILL see the light of day, only that it's in development to become a potential series. I'm not sure whether or not I'll watch it because I love the book *so* much and I don't know if that love will translate to screen. Plus, I really don't watch a lot of TV. A lot of YA has made its way to the screen lately, from GOSSIP GIRL to THE VAMPIRE DIARIES to THE SECRET CIRCLE to PRETTY LITTLE LIARS (which, yes, I know isn't CW...). I've never seen any of these or read any of the books, so I couldn't tell you how much the network(s) got--or didn't get--right, but I do know that having a TV deal led to monster book sales. At the very least, if the series sells, there will be THAT many more UNEARTHLY fans, right? (But more people to fight over Tucker.... *mine*)




The news, which broke in The Hollywood Reporter and was mentioned on Hand's blog, also mentioned that adult fantasy author Kim Harrison's series THE HOLLOWS is also being developed for The CW.

I used to watch The CW when it was still "The WB" and "UPN." Well, mostly The WB until BUFFY moved to UPN. The channel was the staplehood of my school years, from DAWSON'S CREEK to GILMORE GIRLS. I haven't watched it since the merger until this year when Sarah Michelle Gellar returned to star in RINGER.




And finally, while we're on the subject, this may not be breaking news anymore, but Amy Holder's THE LIPSTICK LAWS is also being developed for a TV series, though there's no network connected to it as of yet. Amy Holder is another 2011 debut author.

Comments

  1. So excited for the 'potential' Unearthly tv show!!! Yes, I am a little fearful of them ruining the book, but I have faith. And CW actors are sexy so.... *fights you for Tucker*

    Wait, wait, wait, WAIT. You haven't seen The Vampire Diaries?! :O BONNIE! (Hey, there's a witch named Bonnie in the show too haha). You HAVE to check it out some time. It's the best damn show to ever grace tv. Season 1 was good, but season 2 and ESPECIALLY season 3 are mindblowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey, you haven't been watching the delicious Salvatore and Winchester brothers?!? You are missing out, Bonnie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes with small review. you NEED to see supernatural!

    it's like buffy with hot guy mc's.

    seriously!

    i watch them via netflix dvd's.

    and buffy!
    my fave!
    obvs, you have impeccable taste!

    and hooray for this book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!