You're Gonna LOVE Me: "A Long, Long Sleep" by Anna Sheehan







Title: A Long, Long Sleep
Author: Anna Sheehan
Release Date: August 9, 2011
Publisher: Gollancz/Candlewick Press
Received: ARC Courtesy of NetGalley
Goodreads Page

SUMMARY:

Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for 62 years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically-induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten sub-basement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long dead, and Rose - hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire - is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes - or be left without any future at all.




In a way, A Long, Long Sleep reminds me of this year’s bestselling debut Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Both books begin with a character in stasis. In Sheehan’s novel, the sci-fi novel is spun together with the classic tale of Sleeping Beauty. It’s about a sixteen-year-old named Rose who has been stassed for over sixty years and wakes up in a much-changed future, scared and alone. She goes through a lot of heartbreak and hardships, enduring more than most YA characters ever encounter. The merging of two completely different ideas is foreign, yet “right.” This is one book that will get people talking!




Teaser:

Right away, we know this is going to be based on a fairy tale…but not in a way anyone else has done before…

…When the electric-blue seascape I was trying to hold on to was interrupted, not by a hand but by the feeling of lips on mine, I was startled. I sucked in a breath through my nose and sat bolt upright, knocking my head against my supposed rescuer. I couldn’t see. Everything was dark and painful, as if I had just opened my eyes into a bright light after days in the dark.
–pg 9 (Which is really pg 1 after the Contents, etc.)

-All pages from nook edition of e-arc; changes may be made before book launches in print











Check out today's FTF Event Schedule!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!