Diana Wynne Jones: 1934 - 2011



Bookworms, have you heard the latest heartbreaking news to come our way?

This past weekend, beloved author Diana Wynne Jones passed away. She's been battling cancer since 2009. The news shocked me; I love the author and didn't even know she was sick. In terms of fantasy authors, she's one of the great ones.

For those of you looking at this entry and scratching your head thinking you've never heard of her, I bet you have and just never realized it. At the very least, you must have seen (or at least heard of?) the awesome Studio Ghibli movie Howl's Moving Castle. That movie is based on an even more awesome book written by the awesomest Dianna Wynne Jones. Plus, the book is so awesome that there are two more books in the line. (Let's see how many times I can use "awesome" in a sentence, shall we?) She's written so many great books. Surely you've heard of at least one of them?

Two more books will be forthcoming at some point before we've read her last written word. Diana, you will be sorely missed by fantasy fans everywhere!


What was your favorite book of hers?

Comments

  1. What a sad news :( I love Howl's Moving Castle.. and it's heartbreaking to hear that the author of this wonderful book passed away.

    Sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Evie:

    I was DEVASTATED when I heard! I couldn't believe it! I didn't even know she was sick. Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite of her books. Have you read Castle in the Air and House of Many Ways?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about this yesterday. So sad. I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle (and the movie) very much. I own a few more of her books but I haven't read them yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!